- Everything that is syntactically legal--that the compiler will accept--will eventually wind up in your codebase.
- John Carmack
- The difference between the best worker on computer hardware and the average may be 2 to 1, if you’re lucky. With automobiles, maybe 2 to 1. But in software, it’s at least 25 to 1. The difference between the average programmer and a great one is at least that.
- Steve Jobs
- The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment.
- Warren G. Bennis
- "McNamara is selling safety but Chevrolet is selling Cars"
- Henry Ford II
- There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors.
- "The answers to your Security Questions are case sensitive and cannot contain special characters like an apostrophe, or the words “insert,” “delete,” “drop,” “update,” “null,” or “select.” "
- "How do you know [if you’re a techie]? Take this simple test. Do you use BitTorrent? Do you run Linux? Do you have more e-mail addresses than pants? You’re a techie."
- David Pogue reviewing the iPad
- "There's an old saying - stick to your knitting - and Apple is not a mobile phone manufacturer, that's not their knitting. You can pretty much be assured that Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and ZTE and others will be coming out with devices that have similar functionality."
- Telstra's operations chief Greg Winn Feb 15, 2007
- "I also must confess to a strong bias against the fashion for reusable code. To me, "re-editable code" is much, much better than an untouchable black box or toolkit. I could go on and on about this. If you’re totally convinced that reusable code is wonderful, I probably won’t be able to sway you anyway, but you’ll never convince me that reusable code isn’t mostly a menace."
- "Live as if you'll die tomorrow." Ridiculous. You could die later today.
- Valacosa on Slashdot.
- "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy a funny hat. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a consultant."
- Scott Adams, Dogbert; Dilbert cartoons
- "XML is like violence. If it doesn't solve the problem, use more."
- Seen on Slashdot
- "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the program, so if you write the program as cleverly as you can, by definition, you won’t be clever enough to debug it."
- Kernighan's Law.
- "My grandfather once told me there are two kinds of people:
Those who do the work and those who take the credit.
He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."
- Indira Gandhi, the late Prime Minister of India
- "The time to stop talking is when the other person nods his head affirmatively but says nothing."
- Henry S. Haskins
- "An input file is a user interface"
- Jason Che-han Yip
- "Use Visio. Like it or not, if you're doing "architecture" diagrams, they will be viewed by "architects." Architects use Visio. Anything less makes us look like amateurs."
- Scott Shaw, June 22, 2007.
- "[They] waste time, cost money, demoralize and distract your best people, and don't solve problems. They are people who borrow your watch to tell you what time it is and then walk off with it."
- Robert Townsend on management consultants